There isn't a mission. There isn't a goal. It's just words on fake paper, sliding and tripping and flowing all over the place, because we're all full up on words in here and there is no way we can keep them inside. Like Tony says, "Nothing in here is true."

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Trust

It's hard when you're juggling about eleven-hundred little life items and something throws number 1101 right into the air above your left shoulder. I know. I'm not some magic man doing more than any human can, but I'm pulling a lot of weight for my class, regular-dude. I got the finances and a lot of the kid management, and all the trash handling, all the trips to the basement I hate more than anything on earth, all the non-flower-related yard work, all the car maintenance and recordkeeping, stuff like that. I keep the balls in the air, but don't fuck with me right?

I'm sitting at the desk in our house and I'm doing something I don't know what, because it's night, and the dryer's running and the kid's asleep. I haven't gone anywhere, and I don't care to, but sometimes I should. The way you should go visit your mom, the way you should get that degree, the way you should call your long-distance good friend. So I went out to some schmoozy shindig and come back later.

And I get the trust question. Because it's been about ten years, but I used to sneak cigarettes in the past. And cigarettes are my great vice.

Seriously, a decade in this thing, kids and a house and all that, and we're getting the raised eyebrows of a whiff of smoke? For real?

And it's got me thinking, because I trust her completely. All that she does, and all the places she goes, in a world she denies but I know is filled with chauvanists who sleep with their co-workers on their long trips together, and I don't blink an eye about her faith, her fidelity, her character. She is impervious, in my mind, whether it's true or not (and I believe it's true).

But I get the eyebrows. And I haven't smoked a cigarette, tonight or any night. I haven't smoked a cigarette in years and years and years. We almost broke up over a cigar once about nine years ago, for christ's sake, would I really be screwing with this arrangement at this point?

So what's with the looks? I don't know. I guess it's all about trust, and that's what I'm wondering about. That's all. I know she trusts me, because we're dependent on each other, we're connected, and every interaction is a reinforcement of that trust. People shouldn't start families and become this entangled if they don't have the trust. So I know she's got the trust. But I'm wondering to myself. How much?

No comments: